Fish and More Fish!!

Fish and More Fish!!
Sea Bass & Fish Tray Bake

Saturday 26 February 2011

The Steak Sarnie

It's Sunday afternoon and our guests have just left and the kitchen has finally been cleaned up after cooking the "Steak Sarnie with Crispy New Potatoes, Cheesy Mushrooms and Beetroot Salad".  I'm so glad that I chose to cook this meal for lunch rather than for dinner as it was quite filling as expected. 

Before cooking this meal, I asked around to find a really good butcher in the local area and this certainly made all the difference.  Supermarket meat just isn't suitable for a meal such as this one.  I purchased around 520g of top quality rump steak (0ne giant piece) and it was beautiful.  Cooked to perfection, slightly blushing, tender and juicy, this meat was the hero of the dish.  The beetroot salad was also really lovely and one that I will make again and again.  I purchased a large tin of baby beets as this is all I could find and put them through the food processor.  I cheated by making this before hand which took some of the stress out of the cooking process.

The mushrooms nearly burned under the grill, but I saved them just in time, phew.  For the potatoes, I used some of our home grown kipfler potatoes and they always taste nice.  Along with a few glasses of wine and some good company, this dish was a lovely Sunday lunch and I'm sure I will cook it again some time.

Our guests enjoyed the meal very much and they also endured watching the next episode which is the Chicken Pie recipe.  When asked, why am I doing this, I reply...well, it's just a challenge and something else to think about.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love being a stay at home Mum and my spare time is short, but I can see how many Mums can get stuck in a rut and each day blends in to the next.  My husband has stopped asking me what I did today as my replies are "the same as I do every day" with a bit of terse attitude thrown in for good measure.  It's true, the days can be boring and long some times and one longs for something exciting or challenging to do.  Cooking these 30 minute meals and then writing about it gives me a creative outlet and benefits everyone around me and my mood seems to be better, albeit not when I am actually cooking, but before and after (assuming the meal was successful)!

The chicken pie recipe looks delicious and seems a real homely winter style dish.  As we are in the middle of Summer (albeit a mild one) I might have to wait for a cooler day to cook this one.  The ingredient list looks pretty standard and I have most things on hand with the exception of "elderflower cordial" but I'm sure that's not a deal breaker and some nice liqueur out of the drinks cupboard will do the trick nicely.

Until next time....happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment