Fish and More Fish!!

Fish and More Fish!!
Sea Bass & Fish Tray Bake

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Chicken Green Curry

Well I have had 24 hours to cool down, so this blog may not be as firey as it would have been if I had written it last night after cooking Jamie's "Green Curry with Crispy Chicken, Kimchee Slaw and Rice Noodles"!

I have to say that this meal had me hot under the collar for more reasons than just the chillies.  Firstly, I am really getting frustrated with the amount of ingredients required for one of these meals, only to find that half of them do not really add anything to the overall dish and I now have a fridge full of ingredients that I now have to use up.  It feels like a "Masterchef Mystery Box and I now have to face an "Invention Test" to use up all the fresh ingredients before they spoil!

Ok, I'll get off my mystery box and get back to the Curry.  Firstly, let me say that the Green Curry was excellent.  Really excellent.  Made from scratch from raw ingredients, I don't think I will ever buy a Curry Paste again.  This is now the second curry paste of Jamie's that I have made and both were outstanding.  What spoiled this dish for me was all the other bits and pieces and then the serving method of a bowl and a plate.  I hate this concept cos I feel like a pig trying to eat it.  Imagine a bowl with noodles on the bottom, some long green beans in sauce and then a piece of chicken sitting on top.  It's very hard to cut a piece of chicken when it is sitting in a bowl and then you can't get to the beans or noodles underneath.

Then there was the Kimchee Slaw salad.  Now this was an interesting dish.  Full of heat and bite and crunch (even after scrunching it in your hands to squeeze out the juice!).  Along with the curry sauce, the beans and the chicken, this meal would have been lovely served on a plate with nothing else.  No noodles, no toasted sesame seeds, no cos lettuce and no bean shoots, which in my opinion added nothing to the dish. 

It feels like Jamie is trying too hard to create some banquet of food in a short space of time.  I think less is more.  Good quality food and great flavours and "Keep It Simple".  You don't need 7 different elements to make a tasty meal!

Anyway, that's my opinion and I must say that my Hubby loved the meal much more than the Masterchef Osso Bucco that I made on the weekend, so I guess you win some and you loose some. 

Til next time...

Happy cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment